Yesterday afternoon, my husband and I were at Saravana Bhavan for lunch. Me hankering for my favorite combination platter, him scanning for his keto friendly options. And when my plate came with sheera (a cream of wheat dessert), he was not a happy camper. It was like a three-year-old who wanted to have the same dessert, but his disciplined nature would not allow him to!
Back home, I kept hearing the little groans of wanting a similar dessert. So, with the ingredients in our pantry and fridge, I whipped up these almond dessert cups. He loved them and of course, I was happy that they were ready in about 20 minutes (minus the refrigeration time, if you prefer it cold).
- 1.5 cups milk (I used 2% since that’s what I had at home)
- .5 cup heavy cream
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 1 cup allulose (you could use erythritol)
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tsp sliced almonds (plus a few more for decorating)
- 4 tsp ghee
1. Pour the milk and heavy cream into a heavy bottom pan and warm the mixture ever so slightly over a low flame.
2. Turn off the stove, sprinkle the almond flour, allulose, and cardamom powder into the milk/cream mixture and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon or spatula.
3. Turn the stove back on, add the ghee and keep stirring the mixture at medium heat till it thickens and is the consistency of thick glue (about 15 minutes).
4. Turn off the stove and portion the dessert into six little cups and top with the remaining almonds.
PS. You can have it warm or serve it cold after sticking it in the fridge for an hour.