I read a recipe for a Strawberry- Raspberry Cake in the latest issue of Food and Wine magazine. It is a delicious cake that is served in the Friuli region of Italy. It sounded so good, except given the time we are living in, I did not have the required ingredients at hand. So here is my version, a delicious blackberry cake inspired by the original. It is sooooooo delicious!
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp packed orange zest
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 heaped cup fresh blackberries
- Confectioners sugar for dusting
- Baking spray to prepare baking tins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper and spray the bottom and sides liberally with baking spray.
2. Wash and dry the blackberries. Take a few of them and slice in half. Leave the rest whole.
2. Fit the paddle blade to the stand mixer and combine the sugar, butter, and salt at medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add in the vanilla extract and orange zest and give it a whirl.
5. Add both the flours and beat a few times till the mixture is smooth.
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and even it out.
7. Arrange the blackberries all over the top.
8. Bake in a preheated oven for 40 minutes or till the top is golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
9. Cool the cake completely. Sprinkle with a dusting of confectioners sugar. Slice into 12 pieces and serve with a cup of coffee.