I saw three farm fresh peaches call my name. I turned around and there was a hot round chili and a piece of ginger that did not want to be left behind. So I rounded them up with a few spices and out emerged this chutney with a perfect amalgamation of flavors – sweet, tart, spicy. I had this immediately as a side dish with rotis and vegetables, but tomorrow, this will be the spread on toast that will form the base for a slightly runny egg.
- 3 large peaches, skin and pit removed and cut into medium sized pieces
- 1 jalapeño, round chili or green chili, finely chopped
- ½ inch piece of ginger finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 dried red chili
- 1 tsp urad dal or peanuts
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1.Heat the oil.
2. Add the mustard seeds, red chili, urad dal or peanuts. When the mustard seeds stop crackling, add the curry leaves, ginger and green chilies. Sauté for a minute.
3. Now add the chopped peaches, salt and turmeric powder. Cook for five to six minutes uncovered, smashing the peaches with a wooden spoon so they are blended with the spices.