Indian breads are simply divine, especially steaming hot naans as they make their way from the oven to the table, waiting to be dribbled with butter and consumed with oodles of spicy vegetables. But there is a caveat – they use a ton of flour which is not keto friendly at all.
Continuing in the spirit of one meal for all family members with a special adjustment for the hubby, I created these spicy, mini garlic naans. They are totally yummy and pretty easy to turn out from prep to table.
- 100 gms of fresh mozzarella cheese, broken into smaller pieces (you can also use shredded mozzarella cheese if that is easier)
- 50 gms almond flour
- One tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- Two cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tiny slices of habanero pepper (or chili pepper or any sweet pepper if you don’t like your food spicy)
- Salt to taste
1.Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Put the shredded or cut up pieces of mozzarella cheese in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 40 seconds or till mozzarella is melted (if a few bits remain, that’s okay).
3. Add the almond flour, cilantro, garlic, peppers and a wee bit of salt to taste and use your hands to quickly mix the ingredients into a soft dough (see picture below). Set aside dough for 10 minutes.
4. Divide the dough into five equally sized balls.
5. Spread a piece of parchment paper (cookie sheet size) on a cutting board, put a ball of dough on the paper, fold the parchment paper over the dough and gently roll it into a disc about 4.5 inches in diameter. Gently lift the disc with a spatula and set it aside on a plate. Repeat the process with the rest of the dough.
6. Now take the parchment paper you have just used and put it on a cookie tray. Lay down the breads on the tray as shown below.
7. Bake on the lower rack of the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 7 minutes.
8. Remove from tray and transfer to a plate immediately.