Potatoes probably do get a really bad rap as those starchy, carb laden veggies which need to be substituted with “better for you” ingredients like sweet potatoes. I’ve got to say I beg to disagree. And you would too if you had this easy to prepare Indian winter delight (Aloo Methi) which throws in plenty of greens to balance out the nutritional value and provides so much comfort!
If you ever want to impress someone with an easy Indian dish, these potatoes are an easy win. Served warm as a side dish or as an accompaniment to the traditional chapatis, you can’t go wrong with this preparation!
Here’s what you need to prepare Aloo Methi or Potatoes with Fenugreek Leaves:
- Peel the potatoes and cut into cubes.
- Clean the fenugreek well (they tend to be gritty) and chop the leaves finely.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds turn dark, add the chopped potatoes, salt, turmeric powder.
- Stir well and cook covered till potatoes are close to being done (about 10 minutes, adding a tad bit of water if the potatoes stick to the bottom of the dish).
- Add the chopped fenugreek leaves, mix well so the potatoes get coated with the fenugreek leaves and leave to cook for five more minutes or till the leaves are wilted.
- Take off stove and serve!
The finished dish looks like this and tastes yum! Do try it and let us know if you like it.
PS. This could be a nice, surprise way to serve a side of potatoes.