Contributed by Yuta and Sugandhi:
Yuta and Sugandhi are transplants from Tokyo, now living in the Chicago area. Recently they had friends ask them to recommend their favorite restaurants/locations to eat in Tokyo and this is what made their list.
- Ebisu station area: The station is attached to several trendy department stores and restaurants; it also features a standing-only noodle shop (inside the train station). World famous for its beer: Ebisu
- Roppongi area: Shady (in the evenings) nightclubby-area which has some amazing restaurants. Also known for “Roppongi Hills”, probably the tallest building in Tokyo. Many decent sushi restaurants here, such as Sushi Zanmai, Sushi-Kou. TGI Fridays is here too, in case you want something “American.”
- Cerveza (restaurant / pub in Roppongi): Great collection of beer. Most interestingly has a “bucket” sized beer glass you can enjoy a Hoegarden in. Fun but comes a bit expensive.
- Ichibecho (restaurant in Roppongi): Features nabe (hot-pot) and yakitori (food on sticks); known for their chicken but fish/veggies are delectable, too.
- Belt Conveyer Sushi: Katsu Midori Sushi: Belt conveyer style sushi restaurant with top-notch stuff. Located inside the Meguro Station. Great selection, and fairly cheap.
- Gonpachi (restaurant near Roppongi): Cool restaurant where they filmed “Kill Bill.” Food is decent, and tourist friendly. A bit overpriced though.
- Soba Noodles: Kawakami-An: Really good soba noodles restaurant in Azabu Ju-ban area. If you’re in the area, definitely worth checking it out!
- Ramen Noodles: Kuro-Fune: Always a long line during lunch time on weekdays. The owner supposedly won a competition on a TV show. Good stuff. HAPPY EATING!!!!