Vondel Park is one of our favorite escapes in Amsterdam. It is a park that is in the heart of the city (very close to Leidseplein and Museumplein). To us a morning or an afternoon spent there feels like a little slice of heaven. Abundant greenery, an eclectic mix of people (seniors, children, teens, adults), professionals and vacationers, beautiful buildings, flowers in bloom and some interesting objects all make for a lovely break.
A few years ago, we had made plans to spend Christmas in Amsterdam. It is one of our favorite cities and we were very much looking forward to staying at Dam Square and found a great deal at the Swissotel. But alas, an illness with a family member forced us to change plans and move our trip to peak Spring season and the best value we could get was away from Dam Square at a property on the water known as the Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam.
We had heard good things about the brand, but had never stayed there. We were still saddened about not being in the heart of the city at Dam Square. But we relented and decided to go for this property.
From our very first interaction over the phone to the support provided after we returned home, this hotel made our stay amazing and won us over. Here’s how they did it.
- The hotel offers a shuttle pick up from Central Station. We called from the station and due to construction were given explicit instructions on the right exit to take to the spot on the street where we would be picked up. First handshake - success!
- The property is modern, designed beautifully and occupies prime real estate on the water adjacent to the beautiful Muziekgebouw concert hall. We loved the aesthetics.
- The front desk staff could not have been any friendlier. Given the girls excitement, they gave us a room facing the water that simply made each morning and evening that much more special. And they always had pointers for us on things to do.
- Our concern about not being on Dam Square was more than addressed by these facts. It is a short 15 minute walk or a few minute tram ride to the Square and most importantly being on the water helped us escape the bustle of the city whenever we wanted to.
- The breakfast was awesome.
- At the basement of the hotel is a bike rental place that we used to rent bikes and do a tour of the dutch countryside. Great convenience.
- Now for the ultimate in service. Upon getting to the airport, we realized that we had forgotten a key purchase at a locker in one of the city’s museums. We called the museum, asked if they could ship it which they declined. We called the hotel concierge and they immediately set the wheels in motion to help us. Not only did they pick up our purchase, they mailed it to us without charging us a dime. This despite our multiple offers to pay.
Amsterdam is absolutely one of our favorite cities in the world and we are glad to have found a gem to return to on future journeys.
To learn more about this beautiful property click here:
Seven million flower bulbs, close to a million visitors every season, and a sight that cannot be described in words – that’s the draw of Keukenof. In these pictures, we present our discovery of this Amsterdam attraction. You can read more about our visit in prose at http://pauperswithouttravel.com/2012/07/02/keukenhof-gardens-amsterdam-from-bollywood-screen-to-reality/